Richard was nominated for the National Magazine Award for Best New Writer in Canada and the Canadian Authors Association’s Emerging Writer Award––both of which he lost to more worthy candidates. He has, however, been more successful with contests from Subterrain, PRISM, and Event.
Having won a National Magazine for One-of-a-Kind Essay and been a finalist for two others, he is a frequent contributor to CBC Radio’s The Doc Project. Richard’s nonfiction has appeared in Maisonneuve, Canadian Notes and Queries, Reader’s Digest, and Best Canadian Essays, 2016 among others.
- “Mother’s Day” on CBC Radio’s The Doc Project.
- “The Christmas Village Dictator” on CBC’s The Doc Project.
- “Without a Hitch” in The Walrus.
- “Through the Aquarium Glass” in The Walrus.
- “Sweeping It under the Carpet” in The Walrus.
- “Life After Late Fees” in The Walrus.
- “Playing God” in The Walrus.
- “The Young Taxidermist of Alberta” in Taddle Creek.
- “The Other Side of Lost” in MONTECRISTO Magazine.