Richard was a finalist for the National Magazine Award for Best New Writer in Canada, the Canadian Authors Association’s Emerging Writer Award, and The Folio Award’s Best Single Article in a Consumer Magazine––all of which he lost to more worthy candidates. He has, however, been more successful with contests from Subterrain, PRISM, and Event.
Having won a National Magazine for One-of-a-Kind Essay and been a finalist for two others, Richard’s nonfiction has appeared in Canadian Notes and Queries, Reader’s Digest, and Best Canadian Essays, 2016 among others.
- “Mother’s Day” on CBC Radio’s The Doc Project.
- “The Christmas Village Dictator” on CBC’s The Doc Project.
- “Without a Hitch” in The Walrus.
- “Through the Aquarium Glass” in The Walrus.
- “Sweeping It under the Carpet” in The Walrus.
- “Life After Late Fees” in The Walrus.
- “Playing God” in The Walrus.
- “The Young Taxidermist of Alberta” in Taddle Creek.
- “The Other Side of Lost” in MONTECRISTO Magazine.
- “The Curse of Nostalgia on Millennial Television” in This Magazine.